The effective date of most of the legislation in this volume is July 1, 2015. See SDCL 2-14-16.
Legislation with other effective dates will contain the effective date as one of its provisions.
STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT
1. HJR 1001 Constitutional convention for a balanced budget amendment.
2. HB 1069 Constitutional amendment delegates regulated.
3. HJR 1002 Grant a presidential pardon to Peter L. Larson.
4. HB 1144 Statutes revised related to state affairs and government.
5. SB 38 Public safety telecommunications system revised.
6. SB 43 Lease payments to the Health and Educational Facilities Authority revised.
7. HB 1033 South Dakota Energy Infrastructure Authority repealed.
8. SB 36 Department of Tourism statutes updated.
9. HB 1165 Historic Preservation Commission membership changed.
10. SB 86 Term limit for office of poet laureate.
11. HB 1125 Notice of public meeting requirements changed.
12. HB 1091 Public board and commission minutes to record votes.
13. HB 1031 State-owned rail line revision.
14. HB 1228 State debt collection office.
LEGISLATURE AND STATUTES
15. SB 113 Prison or jail cost estimates.
16. HB 1145 Certain payments changed for the salary and compensation for legislators.
17. HB 1034 Wind Energy Competitive Advisory Task Force repealed.
18. SB 137 The term of the Executive Board of the Legislative Research Council to align
with their legislative term.
19. HB 1036 Legislation enacted in 2014, codified.
PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
20. SB 32 Veteran's preference for all veterans who seek employment with the state,
county, or municipality.
21. SB 90 School districts to provide veterans a preference in employment.
. SB 87
Vacancy in municipal office.
. HB 1135
Local government officials and employees bonding requirements changed.
. HB 1048
Reimbursement for expenses incurred in furtherance of state interests.
. HB 1007
South Dakota Retirement System updated.
. HB 1010
Disability and surviving spouse benefits for members of the South Dakota
Retirement System revised.
. HB 1008
Consistent refund methodology for members of the South Dakota Retirement
. HB 1009
Recovery limited for certain overpayments made by the South Dakota
. HB 1011
Participants in the deferred compensation plan of the South Dakota Retirement
System may elect an automatic increase.
. HB 1064
Self-dealing prohibited and regulated.
PUBLIC FISCAL ADMINISTRATION
31. HB 1208 Appropriate money for the ordinary expenses of the state.
32. SB 55 General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2015 revised.
33. HB 1047 General Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2013 revised.
34. SB 10 Classes of investments used for state funds updated.
35. SB 8 State Investment Council, certain transactions exempt from procurement
36. SB 9 State investment officer, transfer of certain funds procedure revised.
37. SB 52 Investment income transferred to the general fund, repealed.
38. HB 1084 Collateral eligible to be pledged as security for public deposits.
39. HB 1050 The general revenue replacement fund created.
40. SB 172 Strengthen the financial practices of the State of South Dakota.
41. HB 1046 Zero based budgets and the coordination of federally aided programs, repealed.
42. SB 99 Legislative contingency fund created and appropriation.
43. HB 1049 Sales tax refund program fund repeal clean-up.
44. HB 1185 Appropriation for property and casualty loss coverage.
45. HB 1186 Appropriation for the Science and Technology Authority.
. HB 1187
An appropriation for liability coverage for various state authorities.
. HB 1189
An appropriation to fund tax refunds for elderly persons and persons with a
. SB 51
Contingency funding related to unanticipated medical costs repealed.
. SB 174
Appropriation for the Ross Shaft at the Sanford Underground Research Facility.
PUBLIC PROPERTY, PURCHASES AND CONTRACTS
50. HB 1029 State-owned building requirements regarding high performance building design
51. HB 1139 Competitive sealed bids process revised for public purchasing agencies.
52. HB 1085 Requirement revised for performance securities.
53. HB 1042 Department of Public Safety appropriation to construct offices.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT GENERALLY
54. HB 1106 Municipal, county, or township officers decision-making authority.
55. SB 153 South Dakota certified site and technology park programs repealed.
56. HJR 1005 Oglala Lakota County.
57. SB 66 The county renaming process, streamlined.
58. HB 1081 Statutory revisions regarding counties and county commissioners.
59. SB 88 Emergency appointments to the municipal election board.
60. HB 1104 Notification procedure modified for payment of delinquent special assessments.
61. SB 20 Manufactured or mobile home to be considered real property.
62. SB 19 References to the Internal Revenue Code updated.
63. HB 1017 Department of Revenue statutes updated.
64. SB 21 Income guidelines for property tax relief program updated.
65. SB 5 Assessment and taxation of real property revised.
66. SB 180 The production tax for wind energy facilities.
67. HB 1019 Exemptions from sales and use taxation of machinery and equipment used
exclusively for agricultural purposes.
. HB 1018
Sales and use tax exemptions for farm machinery updated.
. SB 182
Interest rate changed for late payment of certain taxes.
. HB 1016
References updated for auditing standards used by the Department of Revenue.
PLANNING, ZONING AND HOUSING PROGRAMS
71. HB 1194 A minimum size for a sign about zoning changes or conditional use permits.
72. HB 1201 Planning and zoning revisions.
73. SB 126 Building code references updated.
74. SB 67 Challenges to election petition signatures.
75. SB 68 Random sampling of nominating petition signatures for statewide offices.
76. HB 1176 A person may be on the general election ballot for more than one office.
77. SB 69 Elections and election petitions.
78. HB 1177 Exceptions revised for campaign finance report filings.
79. SB 65 Campaign finance disclosure statement regulation.
80. HJR 1003 Vocational and technical education separate board governance.
81. HB 1101 Local control over curriculum and methods of instruction.
82. HB 1043 Education obsolete statutory repeal.
83. SB 124 School district minor boundary change decision timeline clarified.
84. SB 134 Minor boundary change task force and moratorium.
85. HB 1097 Minimum fall enrollment for certain school districts reduced.
86. HB 1100 School board vacancy, appointment to fill.
87. HB 1148 The annual report of a school district to contain information about fund
88. SB 53 The state aid to general education formula revised.
89. HB 1005 Foundation program fund references repealed.
90. SB 191 Capital outlay certificates, lease purchase agreements, and the pledge of state
education aid to secure such obligations.
91. HB 1137 Time between classes not counted as hours in school term.
. HB 1117
Approval of postsecondary courses for certain students.
. HB 1072
Information about postsecondary technical institutes given to parents and
guardians of students.
. SB 125
Minimum suspension revised for students participating in school activities.
. SB 54
Special education state aid revised.
. HB 1118
Technical education oversight.
. HB 1066
Postsecondary technical institute employee contract nonrenewal notice
. HB 1044
Educational personnel certification and discipline.
. SB 132
School district financial incentives to recruit or retain teachers.
. HB 1147
Increase the South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship.
. SB 91
Appropriation to support the South Dakota need-based grant program.
. SB 92
Appropriation to support the South Dakota critical teaching needs scholarship
. HB 1191
Appropriation for the Jobs for America's Graduates program.
. SB 26
Appropriation to the Board of Regents to demolish the veterinary isolation
. SB 27
Appropriation to the Board of Regents to contract for the replacement of the
plant science research support facility.
. SB 25
Appropriation to Board of Regents to acquire agricultural property in Moody
. SB 33
Resident tuition eligibility for the spouses and children of active duty military
. SB 23
Ownership and management of the South Dakota Art Museum.
. SB 28
Authorize the Board of Regents to sell certain real property to the City of
. SB 24
Appropriation to Board of Regents to demolish certain structures in Brookings.
. HB 1021
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology building projects authorization
. HB 1022
Appropriation to Board of Regents to purchase improved property in Spearfish.
. SB 110
Authority revised to construct an information system building at Dakota State
114. HB 1173 Deter frivolous appeals of land zoning decisions.
COURTS AND JUDICIARY
115. SB 179 Record search fees in the Unified Judicial System.
116. HB 1110 Judges added to the Second and Seventh Judicial Circuits.
117. HB 1061 Outdated provision relating to inferior courts repealed.
118. HB 1062 Selection of jury panels revised.
119. SB 97 Allowable penalties for a person admitted to drug court.
120. SB 109 Appropriation for community and residential services for adults.
121. SB 178 Appropriation for the rural attorney assistance program in the Unified Judicial
122. SB 168 A task force to study elder abuse in South Dakota.
123. HB 1063 Name change notice requirements changed.
124. HB 1076 Title insurance may be substituted for an abstract of title.
125. SB 119 Obtaining the title for an abandoned mobile or manufactured home so that it can
126. HB 1225 Prohibit the unauthorized commercial use of a personality's right of publicity.
127. HB 1089 Female genital mutilation banned.
128. HB 1140 Protection order violations, penalty revised.
129. HB 1231 Forfeiture of financial benefit or valuables gained from prostitution or pimping.
130. SB 13 Person convicted of human trafficking to register as sex offender.
131. HB 1142 Age requirement clarified for sex offender registration.
132. HB 1073 Sex offender to report a change in vehicle status.
133. SB 18 Lottery and raffle regulation revised.
134. HB 1082 Law enforcement officer may issue a citation without a notary.
135. SB 16 Law enforcement radio communications protected.
. 2B 12 Active duty military spouse eligible for concealed carry permit.
. HB 1215
Enhanced concealed carry permit.
. SB 186
Revise the procedure for the execution of a warrant.
139. SB 82 Update language related to domestic abuse.
140. HB 1134 The process revised to expunge arrest records.
141. SB 15 Discretionary appeals of illegal sentences allowed.
142. SB 98 The offender financial accountability system revised.
PENAL INSTITUTIONS, PROBATION AND PAROLE
143. SB 78 Counties or medical providers may recover inmate health care costs.
144. SB 29 Auxiliary members to serve on the Board of Pardons and Paroles.
145. SB 77 Nursing mothers may breastfeed in certain locations.
146. HB 1119 Adoption proceedings regarding the adult adoption of biological children.
147. HB 1068 Child support cross credit criteria modified.
148. SB 37 Uniform Interstate Family Support Act adopted.
149. HB 1143 Criminal violations subject to protection orders, changed.
150. HB 1012 Child welfare agencies regulation changed.
151. SB 70 Mandatory child abuse reports, person available to answer questions.
152. SB 73 Juvenile justice statutory revisions.
PUBLIC WELFARE AND ASSISTANCE
153. HB 1190 Appropriation for community-based provider workforce improvement.
HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
154. HB 1122 Township boards may designate certain roads as no maintenance roads.
155. HB 1121 Township boards may establish speed zones on township roads.
156. HB 1132 Number of days increased to deliver a temporary permit or title.
. HB 1113
Damage and salvage disclosure requirements changed.
. SB 94
License fee for electric motorcycle.
. SB 22
Motor vehicle registration, penalty for altering clarified.
. SB 128
Motor vehicle military license plates requirements modified.
. HB 1035
Military specialty license plates revised.
. SB 93
Gross receipts tax for rental of electric motorcycles.
. SB 80
Towing company exemption from motor vehicle dealer licensing increased.
. SB 17
Vehicles subject to lemon law revised.
. SB 1
Public highway and bridge financing and improvement.
. SB 107
Minor's driver license requirements changed.
. HB 1041
Increase certain driver and commercial driver licensing application fees.
. SB 41
Commercial driver licensing.
. SB 85
Repeal the requirement regarding handlebar height on motorcycles.
. SB 108
Aggravated DUI's revised.
. SB 81
Driving while under influence conviction, certain costs paid to the county.
. HB 1124
Motor vehicles may exceed the posted speed limit under certain conditions.
. HB 1030
Motor vehicle and bicycle regulation.
174. SB 34 The administration of benefits provided to veterans, revised.
175. SB 35 Department of Veterans Affairs statutes updated.
176. SB 154 Employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs to be veterans.
177. HB 1179 Definition of a veteran modified.
PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
178. HB 1060 Appropriation to reimburse certain health care practitioners under the
recruitment assistance program.
179. SB 14 First responders may administer certain drugs to treat drug overdose.
180. SB 61 Controlled substances schedule updated.
181. HB 1058 Contagious disease control quarantine measures, updated.
182. HB 1059 Immunization information access in certain circumstances.
. HB 1079
Department of Health's annual report deadline regarding abortions changed.
. HB 1130
Abortion provider may not accept payment for an abortion before consent period
. SB 60
Newborn screening of inherited and genetic diseases.
. SB 161
Certain fireworks may be used all year.
. HB 1151
Stress management services for emergency service providers.
. HB 1080
Authorize the use of investigational treatments for patients.
. HB 1057
Appropriation for health care professionals.
. SB 39
Appropriation for costs related to disasters.
191. HB 1071 Nominating petition signatures number revised for sanitary district trustees.
192. HB 1014 Department of Environment and Natural Resources statutory clean-up.
193. HB 1229 The release of medical waste regulated.
194. HB 1107 Certain alcoholic beverages may be classified as cider.
195. SB 120 Special off-sale wine and beer license allowed.
196. HB 1001 Wine direct shipment to the consumer regulated.
197. HB 1004 Direct sale of distilled spirits from artisan distillers to retailers and wholesalers.
PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
198. SB 63 Interstate Medical Licensure Compact enacted.
199. HB 1045 Licensure of dentists, dental hygienists, and registration of dental auxiliaries.
200. HB 1013 Social work licensure improved.
201. HB 1102 Regulation revised for licensing massage therapists.
202. SB 64 Business name registration, revised.
AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
203. HB 1056 Department of Agriculture statutory revisions.
204. HB 1055 Department of Agriculture repeal of outdated statutes.
. SB 46
Appropriation for construction of the Nordby Exhibit Hall at the South Dakota
. SB 47
Appropriation from the coordinated natural resources conservation fund to the
state conservation fund.
FOOD AND DRUGS
207. SB 45 Sale of raw milk for human consumption.
ANIMALS AND LIVESTOCK
208. SB 76 Livestock ownership inspection certificate revised.
209. SB 75 Travel permit revised for certain livestock used for rodeo purposes.
GAME, FISH, PARKS, AND FORESTRY
210. HB 1053 Department of Game, Fish and Parks statutory revisions.
211. HB 1146 Limit who may request to see a person's hunting or fishing license.
212. HB 1006 Bullheads may be used as bait.
213. HB 1054 Fur dealer record keeping.
214. SB 49 Department of Game, Fish and Parks may sell railway right-of-way to the City
215. SB 50 Appropriation for construction at Custer State Park.
216. HB 1192 Appropriation for the protection and enhancement of wildlife habitat.
217. SB 152 Appropriation related to mountain pine beetle suppression.
RECREATION AND SPORTS
218. SB 57 Roulette, Keno, and Craps authorized for gaming.
219. SB 56 Adjusted gross proceeds instructions to calculate the gaming tax.
220. SB 58 Authority, monetary penalties, and hearing procedures revised for the South
Dakota Commission on Gaming.
221. SB 48 Personal watercraft safety regulation.
222. HB 1136 Administration of unlocatable mineral, leasehold, or royalty interests.
223. HB 1128 Homestead exemption revised.
224. SB 173 Water management omnibus appropriation.
. HB 1217
The James River Water Development District revised.
. SB 3
Mediation of certain drainage disputes.
. SB 2
River basin natural resource districts created.
228. HB 1065 Voting trust agreements, requirements revised.
229. HB 1099 Limited liability partnership transferable interests.
PUBLIC UTILITIES AND CARRIERS
230. SB 40 Federal motor carrier regulations updated.
231. HB 1037 Public Utilities Commission revisions.
232. SB 136 Municipal taxes excluded from the gross receipts of electric cooperatives.
233. HB 1120 Public utility phase in rate plans for plant additions.
234. HB 1090 Membership regulated for a consumers power district board of directors.
235. HB 1038 Energy facility siting.
236. HB 1039 Regulation of grain buyers and grain warehouses.
237. SB 131 Regulation of stray electrical current and remediation.
238. HB 1098 Extended terms authorized for leases of airport facilities.
BANKS AND BANKING
239. HB 1025 Banks and banking oversight updated.
240. HB 1051 Trust and trust company revisions.
241. HB 1028 Money transmitters and money transmissions oversight.
DEBTOR AND CREDITOR
242. HB 1027 Money lending activity, regulation revised.
243. HB 1209 Changes in terms of credit card agreements.
UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE
244. HB 1040 The statute of frauds revised with respect to the sale of pulse crops.
245. HB 1111 Costs and expenses increased for the collection of dishonored checks.
246. HB 1052 Insurance holding company regulation.
247. HB 1178 Entity to purchase insurance for private purpose.
248. SB 30 Insurer review process for rate and policy form filing denials.
249. HB 1015 South Dakota Risk Pool revised.
250. SB 190 Health insurance coverage for applied behavior analysis.
251. SB 118 Prescription drug plan disclosure requirements updated.
252. SB 101 Cancer treatment medication insurance coverage regulated.
253. SB 31 Coordination of benefits between health plans.
254. HB 1235 Insurance valuation manual related to the valuation of assets, liabilities, and
255. HB 1236 Commissions received by insurance producers regulated.
256. HB 1088 Purchase of certain disability insurance from a non-admitted insurer.
257. HB 1180 Regulation of captive insurance companies.
258. HB 1219 Ownership disclosure on filings with the Office of the Secretary of State.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
259. HB 1024 Statutes related to the Department of Labor updated.
260. HB 1026 Department of Labor references updated.
261. SB 177 Youth minimum wage.
262. HB 1105 Affidavit of exemption from workers compensation.
SUPREME COURT RULES AND ORDERS
263. 15-01 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-12B-1.1.
264. 15-02 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-12-30.
265. 15-03 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-15-9
266. 15-04 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule to be Designated at SDCL Ch. 15-15.
267. 15-05 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule to be Designated at SDCL Ch. 15-15.
. 15-06 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule to be Designated at SDCL Ch. 15-15.
. 15-07 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-15A-8.
. 15-08 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 15-15A-9.
. 15-09 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-6.
. 15-10 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-12.1.
. 15-11 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 16-16-12.2.
. 15-12 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to the Regulation of the
Board of Bar Examiners.
. 15-13 In the Matter of the Amendment of SDCL 23A-48-19(1).
. 15-14 In the Matter of the Adoption of a New Rule Relating to Risk Assessment
Instrument for Statewide Use.
277. 2015-01 Executive Reorganization Order 2015-01 reorganizing certain offices and
agencies in state government.
278. I.M. 17 Patient choice in selection of health care provider.
279. I.M. 18 Minimum wage adjustment.
BILL NUMBER TO CHAPTER NUMBER CROSS-REFERENCE TABLE
ENACTED, AMENDED, AND REPEALED SECTIONS TABLE